Migraines in kids are an extremely painful condition in which one’s head throbs on a particular side and can cause other symptoms.
What Are The Symptoms of Migraines?
Symptoms of migraines include:
- Throbbing on one side of the head
- Sensitivity to light
- Impaired vision (seeing spots, blurred vision, etc.)
- Nausea or vomiting
What Causes Migraines In Kids?
There are many reasons your child may suffer from migraines. A few of the most common migraine triggers include:
- Family history
- Skipping meals
- Irregular sleep schedule
- Head injury
- Rigorous physical activities
How Do I Know What Triggers Migraines In My Child?
If your child suffers from migraines, but you are unsure of the exact triggers of them, a great way to figure this out is by keeping a headache diary.
When your child shows migraine symptoms, simply write down:
- The severity of the headache.
- The location of the head pain.
- Which medication they took, as well as if it helped the pain.
- The foods the child ate that day.
- An estimate of how much they slept that night.
- Any physical activity the child participated in that day.
After doing this a few times, you may begin to see common factors that contribute to migraines in your child. By tracking and identifying these triggers, you could be able to reduce the frequency of migraines by avoiding certain behaviors.
How Is A Migraine Diagnosed?
If your child experiences frequent severe headaches, it may be time to seek medical advice. KidsStreet Urgent Care diagnoses migraines regularly, and we want to get your child healing and feeling better.
When diagnosing a migraine, a medical provider will take a few things into account:
- Do migraines run in your family history?
- Is the headache specific to one side of the head?
- Have there been any other symptoms that accompany these severe headaches (ex.: impaired vision, nausea or vomiting, sensitivity to light, etc.)?
Once a medical provider has the answers to these questions, they can better determine if your child is experiencing a migraine.
What Are The Treatment Options?
There is no cure for migraines, but there are a few treatment options that may reduce the frequency or severity of migraines. Some of these treatment options include:
- Ensuring your child gets 8-10 hours of sleep each night.
- Maintaining a well-balanced diet.
- Over-the-counter pain medications
- Prescription medications
Turn To KidsStreet Urgent Care.
KidsStreet Urgent Care wants to help your child heal and feel better. If your child is suffering from migraines, please visit one of our locations so we can diagnose and treat them.
Our online registration allows you to wait in the comfort of your home or car until we are ready for you. Once we are ready to see you, we will send a text notifying you. You will have 30 minutes to arrive at our office and check in at the front desk.
Walk-ins are always welcome; however, we highly recommend you register online. Registering online reduces in-clinic wait times.